International Undergraduate Elective Students
Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences offers elective rotations to eligible international students for a minimum period of four (4) weeks in one academic department or division and a maximum period of eight (8) weeks, which may be taken in one or a suitable combination of two (2) academic departments/divisions.
International Undergraduate Electives:
- Annual Opening Date: 1 April 2024
- Annual Closing Date: 31 October 2024
- Applications must be submitted 12 months before the intended elective date.
Research and Non-clinical Short-Term Training:
- Applications must be submitted at least 3 months in advance of the Elective start date.
View our online application guideline here
- Be registered as an undergraduate student at a recognised International tertiary institution.
- Be studying in one of the
health science disciplines offered by the FMHS of SU.
- Be registered in the third, fourth or final year of their clinical training at their home institution.
- Have their home institution's approval and support for further training.
- Ensure the minimum requirements for the selected departments, divisions and units are met.
- Be registered as an affiliated student at SU after having been accepted by the academic department concerned.
- Be registered with the Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA) or South African Nursing Council (SANC) as a visiting undergraduate student at the FMHS before starting with the clinical elective.
- Non-clinical applicants do not have to register with HPCSA.
- Ensure that all fees are paid in full before the elective training commences.
For more information on clinical, non-clinical, and research Undergraduate Electives including South African Medical Board Registrations contact:
Ms. Marifa Muchemwa
+27 21 938 9549
An Elective program is also available at Hope and Famcru. Further information can be found on their websites: