Welcome to the
Department of Curriculum Studies
The Department of Curriculum Studies strives for academic excellence in the context of curriculum studies as a scientific field.
This vision is informed by the following values:
- Integrated scholarship
- Critical stance
- Transformative practice
- Respect for diversity of people and ideas
- Participative leadership
- Financial sustainability
The vision is actualised by striving for:
- Seamless integration of research, teaching and community interaction
- Critical and responsive attitude to national curriculum policy and international tendencies
- Innovative contributions to curriculum inquiry
- The creation of a climate and space for critical discussion and collegial interaction
- Continuous sustainable management practices (financial, staff, students, in/output)
Major areas of inquiry are:
- Curriculum theory: Approaches
- Curriculum management and policy: Management of change | Leadership
- Environment and community: Technology | Democratisation of curricula
- Language and communication: Conceptualisation | Literacy (verbal and visual)
- Learning and Teaching: Assessment and evaluation | Learners | Learning Theory | Educators
- Learning materials (development): Content analysis | Sources | Programmes
Follow the link.
Follow the link.
Language support for subject terminology
Faculty supports you in the use of academic language and language for special
purposes with MobiLex, a specialist dictionary with definitions of
terms that you would use in your undergraduate studies. There are also
translations of terms, as well as their meanings in Afrikaans, English and
isiXhosa, compiled by lecturers in the Departement of Curriculum studies.
Download the MobiLex app on your phone or search it on
your computer or tablet at http://www0.sun.ac.za/mobilex/