The M in Social Work entails a research project.
The entry level for the Master's degree is a four-year B degree in Social Work or equivalent qualification as approved by the Senate. An average of 65% for Social Work as major subject is required for admission to the M programme. See the University Calendar.
Programme structure and contents
The programme extends over a minimum period of one year. Students have to complete their studies within two years, which may be discontinued by the Department in case of unsatisfactory progress. New students must attend a research workshop in the last week of January which does not contribute to the performance mark. The rest of the programme consists of self-study without any coursework. Students choose a topic for a thesis within a specific field of social work (see the research areas of the Department of Social Work) and conduct an independent research project under the study guidance of a supervisor.
For study fees please consult the fees page
- Download the Departmental Postgraduate Screening form here.
- Complete and submit the Departmental Postgraduate Screening Form to Prof. Engelbrecht (email@example.com).
- Apply online at https://web-apps.sun.ac.za/eAansoek2/alg.jsp?Tl=1
- If your qualifications in Social Work were obtained at a tertiary institution outside South Africa, the Postgraduate Office will determine your eligibility to postgraduate studies by conducting a credential evaluation of your qualification(s) upon receipt of a formal application lodged to the University.
- Applications open at the beginning of April and close at the end of August.
- Feedback on the success of the application will be provided in October with further details regarding the specific date for the postgraduate workshop to be attended.
- Students must register before the end of March, and must register every year for the full period of study until the degree is obtained.
Prof Lambert Engelbrecht
Tel.: (021) 808 2073