Research on Historical Trauma, Transgenerational Transmission of Trauma and Related Themes full-time residential doctoral scholarship
Two full-time residential doctoral scholarships offered by Studies in Historical Trauma and Transformation are available in this category from January 2019. The scholarships are funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation as part of the research initiative “Trauma, Memory and Representations of the Past." Applicants should have a strong research background, especially in qualitative research methods with a Research, Clinical or related Masters' degree in Psychology. Applicants from other fields in the Humanities and Social Sciences may be considered. Demonstrable research skill and experience at Masters' level in empirical data gathering, especially in qualitative research methods, will be ascribed high importance.
Applicants are required to submit a draft proposal with their application. The draft proposal should describe, under a proposed title, the research to be undertaken and the applicant's disciplinary background. Successful candidates will be informed of the outcome of their application before 31 August.
Applications should be sent to Dr. Samantha van Schalkwyk [firstname.lastname@example.org]
- be available to register and to register by the end of January 2019;
- be willing to study full time;
- be competent in qualitative data analysis (essential for research involving phenomenological, narrative, or other qualitative methods);
- hold a Masters' degree with a grade of 70% and above;
- be able to work in an interdisciplinary team environment;
Successful applicants will be registered in the Faculty of Humanities at Stellenbosch University and will be expected to submit their
final thesis proposal within six months of registration.
- Submit your application via email to Dr. Samantha van Schalkwyk [email@example.com] with the following information:
- Cover letter describing the applicant's research interests and indicating how these align with the theme(s) of the scholarship outlined above;
- CV with full details of prior research;
- Copies of all academic transcripts.
- Email Enquiries for more information about the scholarships may be sent to Professor Pumla Gobodo-Madikizela at PumlaGM@sun.ac.za with the following Subject Title written in capital letters: SCHOLARSHIP ENQUIRY.
Closing Date: 27 July 2018