Registration for post-graduate degrees in 2021
Applications for selection to register for the BSc Hons or MSc degrees in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology are invited for 2021.
Students who are interested to register for the BSc Hons or MSc degrees in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology in 2021 must please submit the following by e-mail to Ms. Olivia van Wyk (firstname.lastname@example.org) by
31 August 2020:
- A brief CV
- A copy of your most recent academic transcript
- A cover letter describing why you are interested in pursuing a post-graduate degree in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology.
The cover letter should also list, in descending order of preference, three academics that you are keen to have as a supervisor. Your main supervisor must be a Member of the CBCB.
You can see a list of members here. You are very welcome to correspond with potential supervisors before submitting your application.
Your application will be reviewed by the post-graduate committee of the CBCB, and applications selected on academic merit. If successful, you will receive an invitation to register for you degree of choice, typically within 1 month after submitting your application. Enquiries Ms Olivia van Wyk (telephone: +27 21 808 9514; e-mail:
Please contact Olivia van Wyk (send an e-mail) at the CBCB for information on any of the degree programmes listed below
Inter-disciplinary BSc (Stream Bioinformatics and Computational Biology).
Registration is open for 2020
A 3-year degree combining training in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Biochemistry and Genetics.
- Biology 124(16)
Computer Science 114(16), Computer Science 144(16)
Probability Theory and Statistics 144(16)
- Mathematics 114(16), Mathematics 144(16)
Chemistry 124(16), Chemistry 144(16)
- Science in Context 178(12)
- Biochemistry 214(16), Biochemistry 244(16)
Genetics 214(16), Genetics 244(16)
- Computer Science 214(16), Computer Science 244(16)
- Mathematical Statistics 214(16), Mathematical Statistics 254(16), Mathematical Statistics 246(16)
- Bioinformatics 312(8), Bioinformatics 322(8)
Biochemistry 315(16), Biochemistry 345(16)
Genetics 314(16), Genetics 344(16)
- Computer Science 334(16), Computer Science 344(16), Computer Science 354(16)
BSc Hons (Bioinformatics and Computational Biology). Launching in 2021
A 1-year degree that includes lectures on advanced concepts in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, discussion of important scientific publications, a seminar and a research project performed under supervision.
Course contentEffective coding in Python*Cell biology in bioinformatics*Current topics in bioinformaticsSeminarAdvanced Bioinformatics
Algorithms in bioinformaticsMachine learning in bioinformaticsResearch project*Students must choose one of the two modules
- Introduction to Probability and Statistics
- Database theory
- Next Generation Sequencing technologies
- Genomics and Functional Genomics
- Sequence analysis
- Biological Databases and Ontologies
- Evolution and Phylogenetics
- Population genetics and GWAS
- Structural bioinformatics
- Networks and pathways
MSc (Bioinformatics and Computational Biology) Registration is open for 2020
A full-time, research degree on a topic agreed to by your supervisor
Submission of a thesis is required.
Depending on your background, some coursework may be prescribed by the Post-Graduate Committee of the CBCB
PhD (Bioinformatics and Computational Biology)
- A full-time, research degree on a topic agreed to by your supervisor
- Submission of a dissertation is required
- Depending on your background, some coursework may be prescribed by the Post-Graduate Committee of the CBCB