Join the Neuropsychiatric Genetics Group
Postdoctoral Fellowship in Psychiatric Genomics
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Fellow in the Department of Psychiatry, Stellenbosch University. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work in with a dynamic, multidisciplinary group of researchers based in the newly established SAMRC Extramural Unit on the Genomics of Brain Disorders, as well as the NRF/DSI South African Research Chairs Initiative in Posttraumatic Stress Disorder.
Our aim is to identify genomic biomarkers, using a systems biology approach, for a suite of brain disorders across the lifespan, based on clinically-derived data and through leveraging complementary expertise and skills. The postdoctoral fellow will be expected to lead analyses in the context of the unit, working closely with core members and students to refine analytical approaches.
Proficiency in common scripting languages (e.g. Python, Java, R) will be expected. Experience in computational and statistical analysis of high-dimensional and multivariate data is essential. An understanding of the range and limitations of existing bioinformatics tools for genomic analyses would be preferable.
Candidates will also be expected to:
- solve problems collaboratively and independently
- be able to prioritise and shift focus to other projects when required
- have excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- work well within a team
- have a track record of collaboration with scientific researchers
- possess knowledge regarding current bioinformatics techniques used in the field of genomics and neuroscience
- contribute to the writing and submission of journal manuscripts
- perform supervisory/co-supervisory duties
- assist with writing/co-writing funding applications
- PhD in computational biology, bioinformatics, molecular biology or a related field, obtained within the past 5 years
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Track record of publishing in peer-reviewed journals
- Track record of successfully performing appropriate bioinformatics analyses for a range of different projects
Value of the fellowship: R300,000 and R400,000 per annum, commensurate with experience
The fellowship is available for a minimum period of one year, with the possibility of renewal for a second year, dependent on satisfactory progress. The fellowship is tax-free, provided certain conditions are met.
How to apply: Please send a covering letter with CV, indicating your research outputs and the names and current contact details of three referees to: Prof. Sian Hemmings (email@example.com).
Deadline: 30 September 2020
Please direct any queries to Prof Hemmings via email.
We have projects available for PhD, MSc and BSc Honours (Human Genetics) postgraduate students.
If you would like to be part of our dynamic research team, please contact:
Prof Sian Hemmings: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel: (021) 938 9695