Stellenbosch University Immunology Research Group
Services and Research Models Offered
Our laboratory services are world class with custom designed laboratory management systems to allow us to bring laboratory tests under strict quality control systems, to ensure appropriate standards and requirements for drug/vaccine testing, biomarker discovery, clinical trial management and routine diagnostics.
The services provided by the Immunology Research Group Laboratory (IRGL) include routine analyses, sophisticated immunological assays, development of specialized immunological research tools, with the aim of providing industry specific applications based on world recognised scientific practices.
We also provide consultation on the correct specimen to be collected, the management of the specimen (including its storage, transport, safety and ultimate disposal), performance of tests on the specimen, results, interpretation and laboratory management.
- Nucleic acid extraction (RNA, DNA)
- Isolation and cryopreservation of viable peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs)
- Interferon Gamma Release Assays (TSpot, Quantiferon)
- Flow cytometry services, 8 colour immunophenotyping, infectious sorting of cell populations in BSL3
- Immunomagnetic bead isolation of untouched cell populations for functional studies
- Immunophenotyping of whole blood or cells for: Innate and adaptive cell frequencies and subsets, including maturation, trafficking, activation, proliferation and chemokine and cytokine expression
- Laser Dissection Microscope & Fluorescence microscopy
- Evaluation of cytokines and chemokines by ELISA and multiplexed bead array
- Gene expression analysis for real-time PCR assays
Client/Project Support and Management
- Administration and design of testing protocols & reports
- Documentation of SOPs and Quality Procedures
- Database design and capture
- Electronic data transfer and storage
- Data interpretation and management
Biorepository for Sample Storage
The IRGL provide controlled storage conditions with space for various biological samples collected during clinical trials, field studies or individual research projects, to facilitate retrospective analyses. You can trust the IRGL biorepository to preserve the integrity of your samples, even for long term storage at 4⁰C, -80⁰C or liquid nitrogen. Viability tests are routinely performed to ensure the highest standard of sample storage and retrieval. Our database also facilitates routine sample tracking, labeling, anonymization or unblinding of stored samples.
Samples stored include sputum, urine, cells, plasma, serum, CSF, culture supernatants, nucleic acids and other biological samples.