Communication and marketing professionals from Stellenbosch University (SU) were once again rewarded for outstanding work at the annual Marketing, Advancement and Communication in Education (MACE) Excellence Awards ceremony for 2021, despite the challenges brought about by COVID-19.
SU walked away with no fewer than 26 awards at the ceremony, which was held virtually on Thursday evening (29 July 2021). The awards include 12 Bronze and nine Silver Awards, two Gold Awards (awarded to the highest scoring entry in each category) and a Platinum Award (awarded to the highest scoring entry in each of three divisions).
SU was also awarded the Chairperson's Award of Excellence for the COVID-19 Relief Fund (awarded to a single entry that embodies true excellence in marketing, advancement or communication) as well as the Severus Cerff Award for Consistent Excellence (for the highest success ratio of all entering institutions).
The MACE Excellence Awards recognise and celebrate the achievements of specialists and practitioners in marketing, advancement and communication in the higher education sector in Southern Africa. Entries from SU's Corporate Communication and Marketing Division (CCMD), Division of Development and Alumni Relations (DAR), Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences (FMHS), Division for Research Development (DRD) and Postgraduate Office received recognition.
“These awards give appropriate recognition to the continued high-quality work delivered by SU's communication, marketing and fundraising teams. What makes it even more remarkable is that this was achieved during the pandemic amidst many challenges. The team is a true example of SU's value of excellence," said Prof Hester Klopper, Deputy Vice-Chancellor: Strategy and Internationalisation.
In congratulating the winning teams, Senior Director of SU's CCMD Ms Christelle Feyt said that “in this challenging year we've all learnt that excellence is not only a skill, but a winning attitude".
MACE is a membership-based organisation and fulfils a leadership role in the higher education, technical vocational education and training and private education sectors within Southern Africa. It aims to add value to practitioners in marketing, advancement and communication by offering high-quality development programmes, facilitating networking partnerships and transformation and promoting best practice among these professions in its member institutions.
Karen Bruns, Senior Director: Development and Alumni Relations, said her team has produced exceptional work under challenging circumstances over this past year and a half and she could not be any prouder. “The team came up with creative ideas to keep our alumni, donors and friends of the University engaged when we had to cancel all in-person events due to the COVID-19 lockdowns. The fact that all their hard work has been recognised by peers in the higher education sector makes these accolades that much more rewarding."
Ronel Bester, Strategic Relations Manager at SU's Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, added: “Our team is honoured and humbled to be recognised by our industry peers. We believe the recognition is a testament to our commitment to serve the staff and students of our faculty and help tell their stories of achievement, service and excellence with care and dedication."
SU's awards (note: the individuals named below were key players in each case and submitted the particular entries, but the award also goes to all their colleagues who were part of the effort):
- Videography: I want to ride my bicycle! A SU Campus tour – Stefan Els, CCMD
- Brand-building campaigns: helloMaties – Candes Keating, CCMD
- General campaigns: #WomenofSU – Candes Keating, CCMD
- Websites: COVID-19 website – Candes Keating, CCMD
- Social media: #SUgradstory – René-Jean van der Berg, CCMD
- Videography: Thank you frontline workers! – Wilma Stassen, FMHS
- Digital: Internal magazines and newsletters: VIVUS Newsletter e-mailer – Wilma Stassen, FMHS
- Social media: SU Faculty of Medicine & Health Sciences' Facebook page – Hermien Nel, FMHS
- Audio, visual and audio-visual: Postgraduate Welcoming and Orientation video 2021 #postgradSUccess – Alison Bucholz, Postgraduate Office
- Printed and digital annual reports: Research at Stellenbosch University 2019 – Maryke Hunter-Hüsselmann, DRD
- Fundraising campaigns: Train for fees – DAR team
- Fundraising campaigns: Virtual events – DAR team
- Digital: External magazines and newsletters: VIVUS Newsletter e-mailer – Wilma Stassen, FMHS
- Chairperson's Award of Excellence: COVID-19 Relief Fund – DAR team
- Severus Cerff Award for Consistent Excellence for the highest success ratio – Stellenbosch University