In order to support development of Confucius Institutes, facilitate Chinese language promotion and Chinese cultural transmission in the world, cultivate qualified Chinese language teachers and talented students of Chinese language, Confucius Institute Headquarters (Hanban) (hereinafter referred to as Hanban) launches the “Confucius Institute Scholarships” program for providing sponsorship to students, scholars and Chinese language teachers of other countries for pursuing a study in relevant universities in China (hereinafter referred to as “host institutions”).
I. Category & Eligibility
The 2016 Confucius Institute Scholarship Categories are:
- Scholarship for Master’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL) Students
- Scholarship for one-Academic-Year Study + MTCSOL Students
- Scholarship for Bachelor’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (BTCSOL) Students
- Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Study Students
- Scholarship for One-Semester Study Students
- Scholarship for Four-Week Study Students
Application is open to applicant who owns a non-Chinese citizenship, aged between 16 and 35, in good health condition, (Applicant is currently working in a Chinese language teaching position shall not exceed the age limit of 45. Undergraduate student shall not exceed the age limit of 20).
1. Scholarship for Master’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL) Students
This category provides a sponsorship for 2 academic years. Applicant should own a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent, a minimum score of 180 in HSK Test (Level 5), and a minimum score of 50 in HSKK Test (Intermediate Level). Applicant who is able to provide the employment agreement or certification upon finishing the study from designated working institutions is preferred.
2. Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Study + MTCSOL Students
This category provides a sponsorship for 3 academic years. Applicant should provide the employment agreement from a designated Confucius Institute or a prospective working institution. Applicant should hold a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent, a minimum score of 180 in HSK Test (Level 3), and a minimum score of 60 in HSKK Test (Beginner Level).
3. Scholarship for Bachelor’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (BTCSOL) Students
This category provides a sponsorship for 4 academic years. Applicant should hold a high school diploma or above, a minimum score of 180 in HSK Test (Level 3), and a minimum score of 40 in HSKK Test (Intermediate Level).
4. Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Study Students
This category provides a sponsorship for 11 months. Application is open to Confucius Institute (Classroom) students, overseas Chinese language teachers, Chinese language major students and excellent performers in HSK test. International students who are now studying in China are not eligible for the scholarship. Applicant should have a minimum score of 180 in HSK Test (Level 3), and 60 in HSKK test (Beginner Level). Alternatively, applicant should hold a minimum score of 180 in BCT (A) , and a minimum score of 180 BCT (Speaking).
5. Scholarship for One-Semester Study Students
This category provides a sponsorship for 5 months. Applicant should have no prior experience of studying in China, but have a minimum score of 120 in HSK Test (Level 2), and a minimum score of 40 in HSKK (Beginner Level). Alternatively, applicant should have a minimum score of 100 in BCT (A), and a minimum score of 120 in BCT (Speaking).
6. Scholarship for Four-Week Study Students
This category provides a sponsorship for 4-week study which is mainly focusing on Chinese language. Application is mainly open to Confucius Institute (Classroom) students, excellent performers in HSK test, and outstanding club members of Confucius Institute Magazine. Applicant should submit a HSK or BCT score report, and have no prior experience of studying in China.
“Chinese Bridge” (Chinese Proficiency Competition for Foreign College Students) Winners who have been awarded the 2016 “Confucius Institute Scholarship Certificate” can apply for admission according to the scholarship specified in the certificate.
II. Majors, Host Institutions & Admission
This year, 150 Chinese universities are entrusted as the host institutions of the scholarships which provide various subjects including Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages, Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History, Chinese Philosophy, Traditional Chinese Medicine, Chinese Music, Chinese Dance, etc. For more detailed information of the host institutions, please find the Application Form on the Confucius Institute Scholarships Website (http://cis.chinese.cn).
Admission for students of MTCSOL, one-Academic-Year Study + MTCSOL, BTCSOL, one-Academic-Year Study, and one-Semester Study is either on September 1st, 2016 or March 1st, 2017.
Four-Week Study courses are available from July 15th - August 14th, 2016, or December 15th, 2016 – January 14th, 2017. Courses at other time durations can only be arranged on the condition of recruiting 10 students minimum, and applicants from Confucius Institutes (Classrooms) should initiate your application 3 month in advance.
III. Scholarship Coverage, Criteria and Academic Assessment
The Confucius Institute Scholarship provides full coverage on tuition fee, accommodation fee, living allowance and comprehensive medical insurance expenses.
Tuition fee is under the overall planning and utilization of host institutions to provide teaching, management, Chinese language proficiency tests (HSK/HSKK), and cultural and social activities for scholarship holders.
Accommodation fee is under the overall planning and utilization of host institutions which should provide scholarship holders with free dormitory rooms (usually double rooms). For those who live off campus with the permission of host institutions are entitled to accommodation allowance from host institutions on by month or by quarter. The allowance criteria are RMB700 per person on monthly basis.
Living allowance is granted by the host institutions on monthly basis. The allowance criteria per person are:
l BTCSOL, One-Academic-Year Study, One-Semester Study: RMB2,500 per month
l MTCSOL: RMB3,000 per month
Enrollment status is based on semesters of host institutions. Students who are enrolled before the 15th (or on the 15th) of the admission month, are entitled to the full allowance of that month. Students, who are enrolled after the 15th of that month, are only entitled to half of the allowance.
The living allowance for the month of graduation will be granted half a month later upon confirming the graduation status by host institutions.
During the study, for any students who is absent from China of personal reasons for more than 15 days (excluding legal holidays), the allowance will be suspended during absence. Allowance will be terminated in case of schooling suspension or dropping out for personal reasons.
Comprehensive medical insurance is purchased by the host institutions in accordance to relevant regulations on international students stipulated by the Ministry of Education of China. The insurance fee per person is RMB800 per year.
The degree scholarship program applicants (Category 1, 2, 3) are subject to annual academic performance review. Only those who achieve outstanding records in academic and Chinese language proficiency are entitled to a full scholarship for the following year; those who achieve average academic records are entitled to partial scholarships; the others will not be entitled to scholarship any longer. Partial scholarships consist of tuition fee, accommodation fee and comprehensive medical insurance. The One-Academic-Year Study and One-Semester Study programmers is required to attend Chinese language proficiency test before graduation. Test fee is reimbursed by host institutions.
IV. Admission Procedure
Scholarship recruitment is open all year round on a trial basis. For applicants, recommending institutions and host institutions, please find admission procedures and scholarship recruitment results on the Confucius Institute Scholarships website (http://cis.chinese.cn).
1. For application, please log on to the Confucius Institute Scholarships website (http://cis.chinese.cn) to register, complete the Confucius Institute Scholarships Application Form online, and upload the scanned copies of relevant supporting documents.
2. Entrusted by Hanban, Confucius Institutes (independent Confucius Classrooms) in different countries, overseas Chinese language testing centers, educational and cultural sections of Chinese embassy and consulate, and host institutions in China are working as recommending institutions to engage in the applicant selection, materials review, host institutions connection, and collecting and handing over applicants’ documents to host institutions.
3. Once application materials are verified by the Division of Scholarships of Hanban as valid, host institutions will then review the eligibility of applicants and submit the admission list to Hanban.
4. Hanban will conduct an overall assessment of all applications and admit applicants on the basis of competitive selection. Normally, the admission results will be announced within 45 working days after the application materials are confirmed as valid.
5. After confirming with the successful applicants, host institutions are required to post “Letter of Admission”, “Visa Application Form for Foreigners to Study in China" (JW202 Form), copy of the scholarship certificate and other relevant documents to the recommending institutions within 15 working days.
1. Incomplete or unqualified applications will not be processed.
2. Applicants will be disqualified from application in case of fraudulent application materials or application materials are completed and submitted by someone else.
3. Scholarship winners who cannot register with the host institutions on time should inform the host institution about the reasons in written form within 15 days before the admission date. For those who do not register as requested without reason, the scholarship will be canceled.
4. Scholarship will be canceled for those who do not pass the admission physical examination, drop out, or take schooling suspension during the study.
VI. Contact Information
Division of Scholarships, Confucius Institute Headquarters (Hanban)
Address: 129, Deshengmenwai Street, Xicheng District, Beijing, 100088
Fax: +86-10-58595727 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Confucius Institute • Stellenbosch University(CISU)
Address: R4008 Wilcocks Building, Victoria street, Stellenbosch, 7600
Tel: +27 21 808 9158 Fax: +27 21 808 3799 Email: email@example.com