ADA online Summer School 2021
Early Doctoral Programme Scholarships
Applications closed at midnight 22 December 2020 (SAST).
Call for applications: ADA online Summer School 2021 Early Doctoral Programme (EDP) Scholarships: The African Doctoral Academy (ADA) is privileged to offer a limited number of candidates, at the start of their Doctoral careers, the opportunity to attend the ADA online Summer School in from 13 January - 5 February 2021.
This call is open to all PhD candidates that are within the first 12 months of their PhD degree enrolment, across all institutions and disciplines. We will have a total of 25 scholarships available, with 15 of those scholarships specifically for delegates from institutions that are a partner university of Stellenbosch University. The list of partner universities can be found at the bottom of this page.
The ADA will be presenting our 2021 Summer School in a virtual format, due to the uncertainty around potential travel to and from South Africa, not only for delegates but also presenters. The Short Courses will be hosted online and will be a blend of synchronous live teaching, exercises, group work and asynchronous learning.
Successful applicants will be able to enrol for an online course hosted during the Summer School and may choose between the preparatory course or one of the 8 week-long courses taking place between 18 and 29 January 2021, and select an additional two one-day/one two-course in the first week of February. Programme
- The value of the award is will be approximately R7550, depending on your individual course selections.
To apply, please complete the form below. Applications close at midnight on 22 December 2020 (SAST) - the below form will only submit once all supporting documentation has been uploaded. The selection committee will convene the week of 5 January 2021 and the selection will be made shortly afterwards and delegates informed of the outcome of their applications
Eligible candidates should be in the early phases of their PhD, can be from any discipline and will be enrolled at their home institution by 1 February 2021 and have been enrolled for no more than 12 months by 1 Febraury 2021
- If your participation in the online Summer School is dependent on the bursary, we suggest that you wait for the outcome before applying to avoid duplication. We will try to ensure that you get your first choice of workshop, so there is no need to apply to the school before knowing your award status.
- Preference will be given to African (including South African) students studying at institutions in Africa.
- There will also be a small number of the total number of scholarships that will be awarded to delegates specifically from partner universities of Stellenbosch University. The list can be found at the bottom of this webpage.
- We strongly encourage and promote women to apply for the bursaries and we will take this into consideration when scoring the applications.
- Applicants must complete the online form below to submit their details and apply to take part in the programme. This includes a 200 word motivation of how the online Summer School would benefit your research and journey as a PhD candidate.
- Applicants can apply for only one week-long course held between 13 and 29 January and one short-from course held between 1 and 5 February
- Applicants have to upload the below documents as part of the application process. No documents will be accepted by email.
Please make use of the following naming convention: your surname.document_type.programme (for example smit.curriculumvitae.edp.doc).
- Closing date for applications is 22 December 2020 at midnight, SAST.
Your application will not be considered as complete if you do not submit all the required documentation in full. In this case you will be unable to submit the form if all documents are not uploaded.
- A 200 word
motivation on why you would benefit from the award, and specifically how the workshops selected would benefit your research and add to the successful completion of your degree (in line on the form)
Curriculum Vitae (Resume)
Brief description of your research (roughly 200 words)
- A formal proof of registration at your home institution, clearly indicating your registration date for your PhD degree.
A written approval / referee report
- On your university letterhead & containing your supervisor's signature by the current (home) supervisor
or head of department to endorse the applicant's application. This will indicate the home supervisor's approval for the applicant to participate in the ADA's Summer School and provide legitimacy of applicant's intention.
- We will award a bonus point during the evaluation process if your supervisor also states your case and your suitability for the programme, in addition to simply endorsing your application.
After a vigorous selection process and panel discussion, the results will be made available shortly after the closing date.
- The ADA reserves the right not to make any selections for the programme.
- We also reserve the right to rescind any scholarship awards made, including if the delegate is unable to commit to the programme's full duration.
- Candidates that have benefitted from African Doctoral Academy or other funding via Stellenbosch University International in the last 18 – 24 months will be placed on the B list of applications to ensure the equitable distribution of funds available.
- Female candidates and candidates registered at an African University will be given a bonus point during the scoring process.
- University of Lagos, Nigeria
- University of Ibadan, Nigeria
- The Federal University of Agriculture Abeokuta, Nigeria
- Obafemi Awolowo University lle-Ife, Nigeria Boumediene
- University of Ghana, Ghana
- University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- University of Nairobi, Kenya
- Strathmore University, Kenya
- University of Rwanda
- Kenyatta University, Kenya
- University Cheikh Anta Diop, Senegal
- Makerere University, Uganda
- Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia
- Bahir Dar University, Ethiopia
- American University of Cairo, Egypt
- Université de Yaoundé I, Cameroon
- University of Malawi, Malawi
- University of Botswana, Botswana
- University of Namibia, Namibia
- Université Eduardo Mondlane, Mozambique
- Omar Bongo University, Gabon
- University of Science and Technology Houari, Algeria
- University of Mauritius, Mauritius
- Reformed Church University, Zimbabwe
- University of Zimbabwe, Zimbabwe
- Midlands State University, Zimbabwe
- The Federal University of Agriculture Abeokuta, Nigeria