Articles published in the South African Journal of Science May/June 2023
Special Issue: “Big Data and AI in health sciences research in sub-Saharan Africa"
- Moodley K, Rennie S. The many faces of the big data revolution in health for sub-Saharan Africa. Guest Editorial.
- Goodman K. Reis A. Litekwa S. Global Health and big data: The WHO's artificial intelligence guidance.
- Day S, Rennie S. Data Science Research in sub-Saharan Africa: ethical considerations in crowdsourcing for community engagement.
- Nair G, Burgess T, Obasa E, Kling S, Singh S. Revisiting community engagement methods in the context of data science research and Big Data use in South Africa: Community Engagement for health data science research in South Africa.
- Kling S, Nair G, Singh S. The Role of an Ethics Advisory Committee in Data Science Research.
- Obasa E, Palk A. Responsible application of Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare.
- Watson B, Rajaratnam K, Liam S, Resia D. Data Sharing: A Long Covid Perspective. SAJS Special Issue
- Brand D, McKay A, Cengiz N. What constitutes adequate legal protection for the collection, use and sharing of mobility and location data in healthcare in South Africa? SAJS Special Issue
- Rennie S, Atuire C, Mtande T, Goodman K, Jaoko W, Litekwa S, Juengst E, Moodley K. Public health research using cell phone-derived mobility data in sub-Saharan Africa: ethical issues.
- Cengiz N, Kabanda S, Jacobs-Alfred M, Esterhuizen T, Moodley K. Exploring Perspectives of Health Research Ethics Committee Members on Data Collection, Storage and Sharing in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Botes M. Regulating scientific and technological uncertainty: The precautionary principle in the context of human genomics and AI.
- Kabanda S, Cengiz N, Brown Q, Esterhuisen T, Moodley K. What do researchers and data scientists in sub-Saharan Africa think about data sharing and data governance?
- Cengiz N, Kabanda S. Biased and sex-aggregated data: the forgotten half of the population. Book Review - Invisible Women: Exposing Data Bias in a World Designed for Men by Caroline Criado-Perez.
- Moodley K, Cengiz N, Domingo A, Nair G, Adetayo E, Lessels RJ. Ethics and governance challenges related to genomic data sharing in southern Africa: the case of SARS-CoV-2. The Lancet Global Health. 26 October 2022. doi.org/10.1016/S2214-109X(22)00417-X.
- Brand D, Singh JA, McKay AG, Cengiz N, Moodley K. Data sharing governance in sub-Saharan Africa during public health emergencies: Gaps and guidance. SAJS. October 2022. DOI:10.17159/sajs.2022/13892.