Welcome to Stellenbosch University


Edrich was a well-known business in Ryneveld Street, in the heart of Stellenbosch, until its closure in 2000.  The business was started by Mr. Hennie Lubbe in 1946 in his parents’ backyard.  With the help of his partner, Mr. Eddie Swart, they eventually developed and expanded it into an art gallery and photographic business.  With the passing of Mr. Swart in 1986, the business was sold to the Volschenks, and they eventually decided to donate the negatives to the University Archives.  The collections, dating from 1946 – 2000, contains images on all facets of the academic and social life of the University and is therefore an irreplaceable visual resource of Stellenbosch.  Images on the following subjects, amongst others, can be found in this collection:


​Old Education Building
Lückhoff High School Staff, 1973
​Carnegie Library Interior, 1968
​Old Industrial Psychology Building, 1966

This collection of more than 40 000 negatives have been digitized and can be viewed at the SU Archives