The purpose of this section is to give you an indication of the fees linked to the University's full-time postgraduate degree programme offering. South African students need only consider the information about tuition fees while International students must consider tuition fees, an international registration fee, an international tuition fee and service fees in order to calculate the total fees payable. Please note that the amounts stated for living expenses are only advisory and do not constitute an exact budget.
Details regarding study fees may be found in the Calendar. Click here to view
Part 3 of the University Calendar 2021 which deals with Student Fees.
In order to get a detailed breakdown of fees (quotation), request a Provisional Quotation
Tuition Fees are determined as per degree/module enrolled for and as set per Faculty.
A representative sample of the University's instructional programmes along with the estimated study fees of each, per annum, as applicable to 2021 can be viewed here.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT FEES
Please take note of the fee structure applicable to international students enrolling for the 2021 academic year.
Academic fees for international students consist of four components:
- Tuition fees as payable by South African students (see above);
- International Registration Fee (IRF) payable annually by all non-South African students;
International Tuition Fee, an additional fixed amount charged annually at registration for the duration of an academic programme;
- Service fees for academic-related services and consumable items (payable by all students, but International Students must pay for these in advance).
International Registration Fee (IRF)
- The IRF is payable annually by all non-South African students including Asylum Seekers.
- Permanent residency holders and Refugee status students do not pay IRF.
- In general, if a permanent residence application is successful by the last date for registration (in March and as determined by the University Calendar, Part 1) for the current academic year, then the permanent resident will be allowed to register on this status. However, if the permanent residence status becomes effective after this date, it will only be taken into consideration at the next registration period of the following academic year.
- If a refugee status application is successful by the last date for registration (in March and as determined by the University Calendar, Part 1) for the current academic year, then the refugee will be allowed to register on this status. However, if the refugee status becomes effective after this date, it will only be taken into consideration at the next registration period of the following academic year.
RESIDENTIAL DEGREE SEEKING INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
International degree seeking students, except permanent residence holders and refugee status students, are required to pay this fee for academic-related services and consumable items per annum (e.g. student card, internet, photocopying quota, printing credits, washing quota, material costs, laboratory fees, gym membership, societies, etc.) Credit on this amount is refundable at the end of the academic year or transferable to the following academic year.
NON-RESIDENTIAL: DEGREE SEEKING INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
No service fees are charged upfront for non-residential full degree-seeking students. However, should a student incur any services on his/her student account, the account must be settled according to the dates indicated on the student account.
International Tuition Fee (ITF)
The International Tuition Fee ( ITF) is an additional fixed amount charged annually at registration for the duration of an academic programme and is payable in full prior to or upon registration.
International Tuition Fee (ITF) is applicable for all new registrations and has been in effect since 2018.
NO INTERNATIONAL TUITION FEE (ITF) PAYABLE BY STUDENTS:
- With permanent residence in SA, including Refugee and
- Enrolled in doctoral programmes;
- Enrolled in postgraduate programmes delivered on the telematic platform [ITE];
citizenship of countries within SADC region;
Africa beyond SADC enrolled in a
- From Africa beyond SADC enrolled for
Postgraduate Diploma programmes at USB.