André is a choral conductor from Durbanville, Cape Town. He is the musical director of the Stellenbosch University Choir (since 2003) and the Stellenberg Girls Choir (since 1999). Under his baton both ensembles have won numerous national and international awards.
Accolades and achievements include:
- Publication: André's arrangements of African music are published by Earthsongsin the USA.
- Since 2012 André has been selected as the South African representative on the World Choir Council for Interkultur.
- In May 2012 André received a civic honorary award from the City of Cape Town for his work with his choirs.
- In November 2012 André received a ministerial cultural award (Western Cape Government) for his work with choirs and the youth.
- In July 2018 André won the award for the Best Conductor at the Llangollen International Eisteddfod in Wales.
Recent international engagements as guest lecturer, adjudicator and conductor include:
- Clinician and jury member for the British TV production Cor Cymru (February – April 2013)
- Guest conductor and lecturer for the Choral Summer School at the Ionian University, Greece (June 2013)
- Adjudicator and Clinician at the Portuguese Summer Choral Festival, for the Escola Superior de Musica de Lisboa (June 2013 – 2015)
- Adjudicator and clinician for the Llangollen International Eisteddfod, Wales (2013 & 2014)
- Guest conductor and lecturer for the Taipei International Choral Festival and the Taipei Philharmonic (August 2013)
- From 2016 – 2018 André worked at music festivals and competitions in China, Singapore, Russia, Wales, Italy, Germany, Japan, China and Indonesia.