1. South African University Student Essay Contest
(A call to all registered Stellenbosch University students)
Organizer: Confucius Institute at Stellenbosch University
Sponsor: Chinese Embassy in South Africa
Confucius Institute at Stellenbosch (CISU) is proud to announce an essay-writing contest with the objective to strengthen the friendship between South Africa and China, to increase South African youth’s understanding of China’s recent development, and to promote the South Africa-China people-to-people exchanges.
Harmony between Humanity and Nature
High-Quality Cooperation in the Belt and Road Initiative
High-Quality Cooperation in BRICS
Global Development Initiative
Global Security Initiative
Building a Community of a Shared Future
Other related topics
Prizes to be conferred at the awarding ceremony
1. Chinese Ambassador Award (1 person, R30,000 )
2. First Prize (2 persons, R20,000 each)
3. Second Prize (2 persons, R15,000 each)
4. Third Prize (2 persons, R10,000 each)
5. Encouragement Prize (all other contestants, Souvenirs)
REFERENCE READING MATERIALS:
Xi Jinping: The Governance of China (Volume 1, 2, 3); hard copies available at the CISU
Useful website links:
]Deadline: entries must be received by 5 September 2022 (23:59).
Awarding Ceremony is Mid-November 2022 at the Chinese Embassy in Pretoria.
Winners of the Chinese Ambassador Award, First Prize, Second Prize, and Third Prize will be invited to attend the ceremony and reception, together with senior officials from DHET and universities.
2. Short-Video Competition: "Chinese Style! A Celebration of Chinese Culture."
This competition is organized by the Confucius Institute at Stellenbosch University (CISU). The aim is to give students an opportunity to make a two to five-minute video to express their ideas, inspirations, and creativity in relation to Chinese culture.
The theme of this competition is quite broad, so as to give contestants the space to be creative! Topics, for example, may include arts and crafts (such as traditional paper-cutting), clay animation, martial art (e.g. Lion Dance, Taichi), traditional dance, folk songs, theatre/ drama, opera, folk songs, architecture, natural landscapes, art, lion dance, etc.
Any person of South African nationality and age may take part. If the contestant is under 18 years of age, they need to get the written consent of an adult or guardian.
Prize 1: 1 contestant
Prize 2: 3 contestants
Prize 3: 5 contestants
Prize for excellence: 20 contestants
1. The works should reflect real people and events and be positive in nature (no pornography, violence, religious and racial discrimination).
2. Videos should be in horizontal format.
3. The video format should be high-definition MP4; the aspect ratio should be 16:9 or 9:16; the file size should not exceed 500MB; the video should be clean without corner labels, watermarks, or logos.
5. Video works should be accompanied by subtitles in Chinese or English. Works with bilingual subtitles will be given preference. Videos should be submitted together with a description of the work in Chinese or English.
SUBMISSION OF VIDEO
Students will be required to upload their videos to YouTube and share the links with us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that YouTube gives you the option to select your privacy settings. You may select:
1. Public (anybody can view)
2. Unlisted (only a person with the link may view)
3. Private (only owner of YouTube account may view)
SCHEDULE OF THE COMPETITION SUBMISSION PERIOD
Launch of Competition: 30 June 2022
Submission period begins: 30 July 2022
Submission period ends (deadline): 15 October 2022 (24h00)
Awards Ceremony: End of October
COPYRIGHT & DISSEMINATION OF VIDEOS
1. The submitted works must be created by the contestants, but CISU has full copyright.
2. If any dispute arises with regard to copyright, trademark right, reputation right, and any other legal rights and interests related to the work, the consequences and losses shall be borne by contestants (organizations) submitting the entry.
3. The right of dissemination, exhibition, and publication of the submitted works belongs to the organizing committee of the competition. The organizer and relevant units have the right to promote, display and publicize the submitted works. The organizer will indicate the name of the entrant and other relevant information when using the submitted works. The people (organizations) submitting the entry agree to transfer the intellectual property rights of their works (except the right of attribution) to the organizer when they submit their works.
4. The final right of interpretation of this competition belongs to Confucius Institute at Stellenbosch University.
3. Fun Day: an activity day including arts & crafts and martial arts.INFORMATION TO FOLLOW SHORTLY
5. Free Classes
Take part now!