1. Opportunities to study and apply for Scholarships in China
The Chinese government and numerous Chinese universities offer opportunities to students from all over the world to study in China every year, some of which are scholarship programs.
Xiamen University (XMU) is located in the southeast coastal city of Xiamen and is known as one of the most beautiful campuses and one of the best universities in China. Now that China has fully opened, we warmly welcome you to study and experience life there.
Confucius Institute at Stellenbosch University (CISU) was jointly established by Xiamen University and Stellenbosch University, providing South African students with Chinese classes, Chinese cultural activities, and assisting them to apply to study in China.
If you are interested in applying for the programs or have any questions, you are welcome to contact the Confucius Institute.
Phone number: 021-8089158
Web of XMU Admissions
XMU Prospectus for International Students 2023:
2023 Online Info Sessions for International Students:
List of programs:
Master's students: https://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/Programs/Chinese_Medium_Master_s.htm
Physical Examination Record:
Financial Support Guarantee Statement:
Supervisor Pre-acceptance Letter for XMU International Applicants:
Guarantee Statement for International Students under the Age of 18:
List of Documents Required for Preliminary Review of Citizenship Status:
Chinese government scholarships:
Chinese Government Scholarship- University Program for 2023:
Marine Scholarship of China for 2023:
MOFCOM Scholarship-CSC Program（（Xiamen University））:
China-OECD LLM Programme on Taxation for 2023 (International Students):
Chinese Government Scholarship-Bilateral Program (Xiamen University):
Scholarships related to Center for Language Education and Cooperation:
2023 Ph.D. Fellowships of China Studies Program of Xiamen University:
International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship:
Fujian Provincial Government Scholarships for 2023:
Application Form for Fujian Provincial Government Scholarships:
Xiamen Tan Kah Kee Scholarships for 2023:
Prospectus for Xiamen Tan Kah Kee Scholarships（（PDF））:
Application Form for Xiamen Tan Kah Kee Scholarships and Certification of Chinese Origin:
Xiamen University New International Students Scholarships for 2023:
Application Form for Xiamen University Scholarships: https://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/info/1141/1747.htm
Sustainable Coastal Development Scholarship of Xiamen University for 2023:
Life on Campus:
Study in XMU:
Video about XMU:
Map of XMU campuses:
2. South African University Student Essay Contest (2022)
Organizer: Confucius Institute at Stellenbosch University
Sponsor: Chinese Embassy in South Africa
Confucius Institute at Stellenbosch (CISU) is proud to announce an essay-writing contest with the objective to strengthen the friendship between South Africa and China, increasing South African youth’s understanding of China’s recent development, and tpromotingthe South Africa-China people-to-people exchanges.
Prizes to be conferred at the awarding ceremony
1. Chinese Ambassador Award (1 person, R30,000)
2. First Prize (2 persons, R20,000 each)
3. Second Prize (2 persons, R15,000 each)
4. Third Prize (2 persons, R10,000 each)
5. Encouragement Prize (all other contestants, souvenirs)
REFERENCE READING MATERIALS:
Xi Jinping: The Governance of China (Volume 1, 2, 3); hard copies available at the CISU
Useful website links:
2. Short-Video Competition: "Chinese Style! A Celebration of Chinese Culture" (2022)
This competition is organized by the Confucius Institute at Stellenbosch University (CISU). The aim is to give students an opportunity to make a two to five-minute video to express their ideas, inspirations, and creativity in relation to Chinese culture.
The theme of this competition is quite broad, so as to give contestants the space to be creative! Topics, for example, may include arts and crafts (such as traditional paper-cutting), clay animation, martial art (e.g. Lion Dance, Taichi), traditional dance, folk songs, theatre/ drama, opera, folk songs, architecture, natural landscapes, art, lion dance, etc.
Any person of South African nationality and age may take part. If the contestant is under 18 years of age, they need to get the written consent of an adult or guardian.
Prize 1: 1 contestant
Prize 2: 3 contestants
Prize 3: 5 contestants
Prize for excellence: 20 contestants
1. The works should reflect real people and events and be positive in nature (no pornography, violence, religious and racial discrimination).
2. Videos should be in horizontal format.
3. The video format should be high-definition MP4; the aspect ratio should be 16:9 or 9:16; the file size should not exceed 500MB; the video should be clean without corner labels, watermarks, or logos.
5. Video works should be accompanied by subtitles in Chinese or English. Works with bilingual subtitles will be given preference. Videos should be submitted together with a description of the work in Chinese or English.
SUBMISSION OF VIDEO
Students will be required to upload their videos to YouTube and share the links with us on email@example.com.
Please note that YouTube gives you the option to select your privacy settings. You may select:
1. Public (anybody can view)
2. Unlisted (only a person with the link may view)
3. Private (only owner of YouTube account may view)
SCHEDULE OF THE COMPETITION SUBMISSION PERIOD
Launch of Competition: 30 June 2022
Submission period begins: 30 July 2022
Submission period ends (deadline): 15 October 2022 (24h00)
Awards Ceremony: End of October
COPYRIGHT & DISSEMINATION OF VIDEOS
1. The submitted works must be created by the contestants, but CISU has full copyright.
2. If any dispute arises with regard to copyright, trademark right, reputation right, and any other legal rights and interests related to the work, the consequences and losses shall be borne by contestants (organizations) submitting the entry.
3. The right of dissemination, exhibition, and publication of the submitted works belongs to the organizing committee of the competition. The organizer and relevant units have the right to promote, display and publicize the submitted works. The organizer will indicate the name of the entrant and other relevant information when using the submitted works. The people (organizations) submitting the entry agree to transfer the intellectual property rights of their works (except the right of attribution) to the organizer when they submit their works.
4. The final right of interpretation of this competition belongs to Confucius Institute at Stellenbosch University.
3. Fun Day: an activity day including arts & crafts and martial arts.Information to follow shortly.
5. Free Classes
Take part now!