Chinese Language Courses
Welcome to the Chinese courses offered by the Confucius Institute of Stellenbosch University.
We hope you will enjoy learning Chinese with us and take advantage of all that Confucius Institute and Stellenbosch University have to offer. Members of the public are welcome to join our courses. These classes are open to teenagers too.
Please note that our Chinese classes are normally taught online, but our spoken Chinese course is taught face-to-face.
We welcome and encourage our Chinese learners to take part in "Chinese Club" or "Chinese Corner". Tuition is free and there is no registration fee. You may read more about this here.
Course information 2023:
Type of Chinese Classes
|Spoken Chinese Classes (Semester 1 of 2023)|
20 February to 12 May
* Class times: Mondays 13:00 - 14:00 & Thursdays 17:00 - 18:00
*Join WhatsApp group: https://chat.whatsapp.com/INyitOuKzxlFggQ1Eojp6c
* Please note that this course is suitable for intermediate to advanced-level participants but beginners may attend if they wish.
* The course requires a minimum of five (5) participants.
* Two classes of 60 minutes per week.
|Chinese Classes (Semester 1 of 2023)|
* Beginner level（no prior knowledge）
* Class times: Mondays 18:00 - 19:00 & Wednesdays 18:00 - 19:00
* Join WhatsApp group: https://chat.whatsapp.com/Fk8A5lbcxttGSPGSsQoLfv
* Lower-Intermediate level
(HSK 1: can understand and use simple words and phrases)
* Upper-Intermediate level
(HSK 2: can communicate simply and directly on daily topics you are familiar with).
* Joint class times: Mondays 13:00 - 14:00 & Thursdays 17:00 - 18:00
* Join WhatsApp group: https://chat.whatsapp.com/FYVoulWL3DCGHy3TDDuKx7
* Towards Advanced Level
(HSK 3: can conduct basic communication in daily life, study and work. You can manage most communication when traveling in China)
* Advanced 1 level
(HSK 4: can discuss a relatively wide range of topics in Chinese and can communicate with native Chinese speakers fluently in common situations;
HSK 5: can read Chinese newspapers and magazines, watch Chinese films and TV, and can write and deliver a full speech).
* Joint class times: Mondays 17:00 - 18:00 & Wednesdays 17:00 - 18:00
* Join WhatsApp group: https://chat.whatsapp.com/CdYQcM7TWrSCslfb9I1BGA
Summary of module content
An integrated approach incorporating listening, speaking, and reading skills (including grammar and vocabulary) will be adopted. However, a specific language skill (including basic writing) may be emphasized more than others in a specific module or level. Specific assistance on HSK tests and basic dissemination of Chinese culture will be offered as well.
The online classroom
Classes may be taught on Zoom, Teams, or other platforms.
Registration & Material fee amounts to R300 per semester. Tuition is Free.
- Join the relevant WhatsApp group provided above. You may join classes of different levels if you are unsure of your level.
- Send your contact card to the admin of the WhatsApp group so they can add your name to their phone.
- Wait to be put in contact with your teacher. You may be required to download DingTalk and WeChat if your teacher is in China.
- Join your chosen online classes.
- Wait to be instructed to pay.
- When indicated, make payment to:
Account holder: University of Stellenbosch，
Bank: Standard Bank
Account number: 073006955，
Branch code: 050610，
Swift code : SBZAZAJJ
Reference: R5533-COUR-5597 + your Surname
7. Upload Proof of payment to: https://redcap.sun.ac.za/surveys/?s=98LJEWCYJTF43AJ8
The number of lessons per week:
Two classes of 60 minutes each per week, over about 12 weeks (excluding public holidays).
All courses are offered with a minimum of five participants per class.
If the number of participants is fewer than five, a course may be canceled or, after careful consideration, two classes may be combined.
Participants should be able to demonstrate language ability in certain daily communication and should be able to pass
the HSK tests appropriate to their levels.
Department of Forestry and Wood Science, Paul Sauer Building, Bosman St, Stellenbosch Central, Stellenbosch, 7599