Department of Soil Science Research Facilities
Soil Science Laboratory:
- Flame atomic absorption spectrophotometer
- Scanning UV-Vis spectrophotometer
- pH, EC and redox meters
- Automated titrators
- Ovens and mechanical shakers
- Vacuum filtration system
- Pressure bomb apparatus
- Neutron probes
- Pressure plate extraction apparatus
- Wet sieving apparatus for measuring soil aggregate stability
- Modulus of rupture measuring device
- Various soil moisture sensors
- Full range of sieves for particle separation
- Mechanical sieving apparatus
- Saturated hydraulic conductivity apparatus
Campus Research Facilities:
- The following research analytical services are available from the Central Analytical Facility https://www.sun.ac.za/english/research-innovation/caf (Please contact them directly for a quote): Elemental Analysis (CNSH), Anions analysis via ion chromatography (IC), X-ray Fluorescence Spectometer (XRF), ICP-MS and ICP-AES, mass spectrometry, liquid and solid state NMR spectroscopy, DNA-sequencing, CT-Scanner, SEM and AFM microscopes.
- BET specific surface area and microporosity is available at the Department of Process Engineering, Faculty of Engineering.
- X-ray diffraction (XRD), Electron spin resonance (ESR) spectroscopy, ATR-FTIR spectroscopy, and Thermogravimetric Analysis (TGA) are available at the Departments of Chemistry and Physics, Faculty of Nature Sciences.
- Near Infrared (NIR) spectroscopy is available at the Department of Viticulture and Wine Sciences, Faculty of AgriSciences.