Vision, Mission, Values
Vision for the Division of Anatomical Pathology at the University of Stellenbosch and NHLS Tygerberg:
To be a leading and respected role-player in practice, teaching and research pertaining to anatomical pathology in Africa.
Mission for the Division of Anatomical Pathology at the University of Stellenbosch and NHLS Tygerberg:
- Provide excellent teaching and training in pathology.
- Conduct relevant and sustainable research of the highest quality.
- Support and provide value-added quality pathology services.
- Collaborate in close partnership with other academic institutions, the community, and the pathology service platform at a regional and national level.
- Promote diversity at all levels
Values of the Department of Pathology / Division of Anatomical Pathology at the University of Stellenbosch and NHLS Tygerberg:
- Excellence. Our research, teaching, community involvement, service and management must be characterized by the kind of accuracy, objectivity, precision, and critical thinking that is intrinsic to excellent scholarly and scientific practice.
- Integrity. We are trustworthy and people of our word, who do things with the most honest of intentions and ethics.
- Professionalism. We are responsible, accountable and ethical in everything that we do, and we adhere to transparency in the way we practice, the confidentiality of information, and the freedom to act within our professional code of conduct.
- Tolerance and mutual respect. We must respect the differences between personal beliefs, between points of view, and between cultural forms of expression. We must strive to foster an institutional culture that is conducive to tolerance and to respect for fundamental human rights and that creates an appropriate environment for teaching, learning, research and service.
- Participation. The people who are substantially affected by our decisions must have an effective say in the making of those decisions.
- Academic freedom. As accountable professionals who function within the domain of a public higher education institution, we acknowledge, at the institutional, faculty and departmental levels, our right to exercise our academic freedom in a responsible way, in teaching and learning, in research and in community service, and we reject unreasonable strictures of any kind on our endeavours.