Stellenbosch University Botanical Garden
Stellenbosch University Botanical Garden, in the historical center of Stellenbosch, is the oldest university botanical garden in South Africa. It is open to the public and displays showcase local habitats and conservation issues, South African biomes and plants, medicinal plants and many research and taxon collections from South Africa and around the world. The Katjiepiering Restaurant offers a perfect place to rest and enjoy the Garden, and the Stellenbosch Garden Gift Shop has an incredible range of botanical products.
Stellenbosch University Botanical Garden is a proud Botanical Gardens Conservation International member, and are an accredited Conservation Practitioner garden.
Displays and plant collections also support teaching and research at Stellenbosch University.
Summer: 08:00 - 17:00 during every day (Monday to Sunday), including public holidays except New Year's Day and Easter Friday.
Winter: 08:00 - 17:00 (09 May - 31 August), every day (Monday to Sunday)
R15 Admission, R10 for Seniors
Annual entry cards available at discounted rates
Free entry to SU students and staff
Larger groups are welcome with prior-arrangement.
Children only under supervision
No photo shoots without prior-arrangement, professional shoots are are subject to a fee.
The Botanical Garden does not have a dedicated visitor parking area, a municipal parking area is located adjacent to the Garden in Van Riebeeck Street and street parking is also available surrounding the Garden.
Please DO NOT
- Touch any plants in pots, pick plants or move plant labels
- Smoke, vape or consume alcohol in the garden
- Catch or touch any wildlife in the garden
- Play music
- Cycle, skate, play ball games or frisbee
- Walk in the flower beds
- Bring balloons or similar items into the garden
- Set up any chairs, tables or gazebos anywhere in the garden
- Take time to look, listen and smell the nature around you
- Enjoy a picnic on the designated Picnic Lawn (see map below)
- Take photos of our beautiful garden but please note - No commercial or group photography without a permit
- Read the signs - they are there for a reason
- Put your litter in a rubbish bin
- Supervise children
- Ask questions - Our staff are here to help
- Respect our staff