Centre for Global Surgery
Publications & Media
Discovery Foundation, April 2021
Business Day Live, May 2021
Business Insider South Africa and News24 (Health24), May 2021
Lifebox, April 2020
American College of Surgeons
SABC2 Morning Live Show
Stellenbosch University Annual Faculty Publication 2019
- Naidu P, Chu KM. District hospital surgical capacity in Western Cape Province, South Africa: A cross-sectional survey. South African Medical Journal. 2021 Mar 31;111(4):343-9.
- Chu KM, Marco JL, Owolabi EO, Duvenage R, Londani M, Lombard C, Parry CD. Trauma trends during COVID-19 alcohol prohibition at a South African regional hospital. Drug and Alcohol Review. 2021 May 17
- Chu KM, Marco J, Bougard H, Strauss CP, Bertels L, Victor AE, van der Walt L, Goliath A, Duvenage R. Estimating the surgical backlog from the COVID-19 lockdown in South Africa: A retrospective analysis of six government hospitals. South African Medical Journal. 2021 May 10.
- Chu KM, Owolabi EO, Smith M, Hardcastle TC, Maswime S, Geduld H, Gopalan PD, Marco J, Mendelson M, Biccard BM, Cairncross L. Establishing a South African national framework for COVID-19 surgical prioritisation. SAMJ: South African Medical Journal. 2021 Apr;111(4):0.
- Rahman AS, Chao TE, Trelles M, Dominguez L, Mupenda J, Kasonga C, Akemani C, Kondo KM, Chu KM. The Effect of Conflict on Obstetric and Non-Obstetric Surgical Needs and Operative Mortality in Fragile States. World J Surg. 2021 Feb 9. doi: 10.1007/s00268-021-05972-1. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33560502.
- Sprow HN, Hansen NF, Loeb HE, Wight CL, Patterson RH, Vervoort D, Kim EE, Greving R, Mazhiqi A, Wall K, Corley J. Gender-based microaggressions in surgery: a scoping review of the global literature. World Journal of Surgery. 2021 Feb 11:1-4.
- Motsuku L, Chen WC, Muchengeti MM, Naidoo M, Mac Quene T, Kellett P, Mohlala MI, Chu KM, Singh E. Colorectal cancer incidence and mortality trends by sex and population group in South Africa: 2002–2014. BMC cancer. 2021 Dec;21(1):1-1.
- Naidu P, Dominguez LB, Trelles M, Chu KM. Traumatic Injuries are the Main Indication for Limb Amputations During and After Humanitarian Crises. World J Surg. 2021 Jan 15. doi: 10.1007/s00268-020-05905-4.PMID: 33452564.
- Rickard JM, Pohl L, Chu KM. Indications and Outcomes for Non-Trauma Emergency Laparotomy: A Comparison of Rwanda, South Africa, and the United States. World Journal of Surgery.2020 Nov 22:1-0. Chu KM, Naidoo M, Klopper JH, Kloppers JC, Navsaria P, and Reed A.
- The Contribution of First-Level Hospitals to Six Essential Surgical Operations in a South African Health District. East and Central African Journal of Surgery. 06 Oct 2020. DOI: 10.4314/ecajs.v25i3.1.
- Hardcastle TM and Chu KM. Global Surgery: A South African Action Plan.South African Journal of Surgery 2020; 58(4):10-11. https://doi.org/10.17159/2078-5151/2020/v58n4a3502.
- Chu KM, Dell AJ, Moultrie H, Day C, Naidoo M, van Straten S, Rayne S. A geospatial analysis of two-hour surgical access to district hospitals in South Africa. BMC Health Services Research. 2020 Dec:20(1):1-5
- Naidoo M, Naidu P, Shrime MG, Chu KM. Humanitarian surgical care delivery: lessons for global surgical systems strengthening. Journal of Public Health and Emergency. 2020; 4:22.
- Chu KM, Reddy CL, Makasa E, AfroSurg Collaborative. The collateral damage of the COVID-19 pandemic on surgical healthcare in sub-saharan. Journal of Global Health. 2020 Dec:10(2).
- Chu, KM., Duvenage, R. A Call to Action: Translating Procedural Baskets into Improved Surgical Capacity at the District Hospital. World J Surg (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-020-05827-1
- Chu KM, Naidu P, Reid S, Hendriks H, Nash J, lomas VCoetzee F, Mash R. The role of family physicians in emergency and essential surgical care in the district health system in South Africa. The South African Family Practice. 2020.
- Chu KM, Smith M, Steyn E, Goldberg P, Bougard H, Buccimazza I . Changes in surgical practice in 85 South African hospitals during COVID-19 hard lockdown. The South African Medical Journal. 2020 Jul 13.
- Naidu P, Fagan JJ, Lategan C, Devenish LP, Chu KM. The role of the University of Cape Town, South Africa in the training and retention of surgeons in Sub-Saharan Africa [published online ahead of print, 2020 Jul 10]. Am J Surg. 2020;S0002-9610(20)30424-4. doi:10.1016/j.amjsurg.2020.06.070
- Jumbam DT, Reddy CL, Makasa E, Boatin AA, Rogo K, Chu KM, Nangombe B, Oladapo OT, Meara JG, Maswime S. Investing in surgery: a value proposition for African leaders. Lancet (London, England). 2020.396(10243), 7–9.
- Kudsk-Iversen S, Krouch S, Chu K. The Contribution of Surgical Nongovernmental Organizations to Global Surgical Care: An Estimate of Annual Caseload. JAMA Surg. Published online May 06, 2020. doi:10.1001/jamasurg.2020.0853
- Kuwayama DP, Chu KM, Hartman Z, Idris B, Wolfgang C, Frist HW. Surgical Needs of Internally Displaced Persons in Kerenik, West Darfur, Sudan. World Journal of Surgery. 2020 May 27. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-020-05603-1
- Chu KM, Naidu P, Hendriks HJ, et al. Surgical care at rural district hospitals in low- and middle-income countries: an essential component of universal health coverage. Rural Remote Health. 2020;20(2):5920. doi:10.22605/RRH5920
- Kauta NJ, Groenewald J, Arnolds D, Blankson B, Omar A, Naidu P, Naidoo M, Chu KM. WhatsApp mobile health platform to support fracture management by non-specialists in South Africa. Journal of the American College of Surgeons. 2020 Jan 1;230(1):37-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2019.09.008
- Reddy C, Makasa E, Biccard B, Smith M, Steyn E, Masimwe S, Fieggen G, Meara J, Chu KM. Surgery as a Component of Universal Health Care: Where is South Africa? South African Medical Journal 2019;109(9):624-625. DOI:10.7196/SAMJ.2019.v109i9.14233
- Chu KM, Karjiker P, Naidu P, Kruger D, Taylor A, Trelles M, Dominguez L, Rayne S. South African General Surgery Preparedness for Humanitarian Disasters. World J Surg. 2019 Apr;43(4):973-977. doi: 10.1007/s00268-018-04881-0.