Welcome to the Department of Sport Science
The Stellenbosch Sport Science Department was the first of its kind in Africa. The first head of department was Dr Ernst Jokl, followed by the equally legendary Dr Danie Craven. The Department is situated in the picturesque town of Stellenbosch on the banks of the Eerste River. It boasts modern facilities, including laboratories, an outdoor and indoor pool, squash courts and a modern gymnasium.
The mission of the Department of Sport Science is to:
- lead students to excellence to become leaders in their field by providing them with high quality teaching and research.
- provide course content, research and community service that focus on market-related needs and serve the broader South African community.
- utilise the physical assets and human resources optimally to the advantage of the Department, University and community.
Research in the department focuses on the following:
- Sport performance enhancement
- Movement literacy
- Health and fitness industry
- Sport history
- Sport for persons with disabilities