The Stellenbosch University Campus Health Service (CHS) offers an integrated and accessible health service for students and staff and has an equipped dispensary for this service.
Quick questions about CHS:
Is this service free?
Services delivered by our medical doctors and physiotherapists are charged at the minimum ethical tariff. All consultations delivered by our professional nurses are free of charge.
How are services paid for?
We are a registered provider of all medical aids in South Africa and Namibia and all accounts are sent electronically. We accept cash, card and electronic payments as well. Medical aid rates apply.
Does CHS cover all medical services (e.g. X-rays and Dentistry)?
We have professional medical doctors, physiotherapists and nurse practitioners. All other services are referred to.
Must I be immunised?
Being up to date with all vaccinations is an important consideration for all students (especially first years living in residences). The following vaccinations are all optional, but highly recommended:
• Influenza (flu) – annual vaccination
• Meningitis – one injection every 3 years
• Measles, Mumps and Rubella (German Measles) – if non-immune, series of 2 vaccines, 1 year apart
• Hepatitis A and B – compulsory in Health Sciences; combination (Twinrix) available, series of 3 vaccines over 6 months
• Human Papilloma Virus – series of 3 vaccines over 6 months
All vaccines are available at CHS and prices are available upon request. Please check with your Medical Aid if they pay for vaccinations.
Does CHS offer counselling?
We offer counselling to patients who come for specific screening/test e.g. HIV testing and family planning. Other counselling is given by the Centre for Student Counselling and Development (CSCD). Their contact number is 021 808 4707.
Is patient transport available?
We offer transport to patients in the confines of the campus. The patient can contact Campus Health Services directly.
How do I make an appointment?
Appointments can be made by contacting us on the numbers below or at our practice.
What if I have an emergency?
During office hours you can contact CHS.
Alternatively for emergencies:
During office hours:
- CHS emergency number, tel 076 431 0305
After hours or weekends:
- ER24 emergency number, tel 010 205 3032
- Stellenbosch Medi-Clinic, tel 021 886 9999 or 021 861 2000.
- SU 24-Hour Crisis line, tel 082 557 0880
- Contraception helpline, tel 0800 246 432
- HIV Helpline, tel 0860 HIV 911
For more information go to:
All our practices are open from Monday to Friday between 08:00 – 17:00.
Tel: 021 808 3392
Next to the gymnasium in the Sport Science building (no 84 on the map)
Tel: 021 808 3496/3494
7 Claassen Street (no 16 on the map)
Tel: 021 938 9590
3rd Floor, Tygerberg Student Centre (no 10 on the map)