Maties Sport doesn't beat around the bush. With an emphasis on high performance sport it wants to:
- Achieve a dominant position in focus sport codes;
- Develop world-class sports men and women;
- Deliver an excellent experience of university sport;
- Increase the percentage of sport stars who also achieve academic success;
- Promote participation in sport for recreational purposes.
Maties Sport offers the following sports codes: Rugby, hockey, netball, football, athletics, swimming, cricket, tennis, squash, badminton, golf, gymnastics, rowing, canoe, sailing, underwater sport, water polo, surfing, basketball, judo, kendo, taekwondo, cycling, equestrian, ultimate (Frisbee), fencing and chess. The Maties Parasport Club also offers athletics, cycling, swimming, wheel chair rugby and goal ball for people with disabilities.
Maties Sport has created five operational units to streamline its activities and to place the focus where it matters most:
- High Performance Sport Unit
- Centre for Human Performance Sciences
- Recreation and Active Lifestyle Unit
- Events and Communication Unit
- Maties Gimnasium at Coetzenburg