The sports and entertainment facilities of Stellenbosch University are available to students, personnel and the public. The SU sports clubs have first choice in the use of the sports fields for their practices and games, and other applicants are served on an ad hoc basis.
The University has the following excellent sports facilities situated at Coetzenburg, Welgevallen and Lentelus:
- One athletics stadium with 14 000 seats and floodlights
- One swimming pool and two small heated swimming pools
- Two astro artificial grass pitches with floodlights
- Nine hockey fields, two of which are equipped with floodlights
- Six cricket fields, five permanent training nets, several turf training nets and a bowling machine.
- Two indoor cricket training nets
- Nine squash courts that include a main court with glass wall and seating for about 140 spectators (Helderberg and Wilgenhof men’s hostels each also have one court)
- Eight netball courts, two of which are equipped with floodlights
- Fifteen rugby fields with a main stadium with 17 000 seats and floodlights (the B field also has floodlights)
- One soccer field with a shared clubhouse with three more fields at Vergenoegd
- Five rugby/soccer fields at Lentelus
- Twenty-seven tennis courts, three with floodlights and one under cover
- Six clubhouses for rugby, hockey, cricket, netball, underwater sport, soccer, tennis and water polo, respectively
- The Vergenoegd picnic area, situated next to the Eersterivier near the suspension bridge is an ideal venue for picnics and braais/barbeques. There are large lawns and braai facilities. It is advisable to bring your own grids. Fire wood is not provided. You must also bring your own tables and chairs. There is a small kitchenette and toilet/change room facilities. There is a power socket available but it is advisable to bring an extension cord with if making use of this facility. There is no shelter area in case of rain.
For enquiries about facilities:
Telephone: 021 808 9229