National Student Financial Aid Scheme
NSFAS is an external entity. The Centre for Bursaries and Loans administer the funding and merely follow the instruction from NSFAS.
Note that from 2021 NSFAS will only pay out allowances to students in accredited accommodation. The university has already embarked on a process with landlords to, in the interim, register their accommodation and start a process of accreditation.
For more information on accreditation of accommodation please visit www.maties.com > accommodation > private accommodation.
Any enquiries can be forwarded to email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Refunding of your family’s own
The Centre for Undergraduate
Bursaries & Loans (CUBL) will authorize a refund of your family’s
contribution or portion of their payment, only if your student fee account will
be settled (show a zero balance) after we have deducted your family’s
contribution from the amount that was received from NSFAS up to date. Note that
NSFAS makes multiple payments throughout the year per student. Students need to
submit proof of their family’s payment via email together with the completed
banking details form to CUBL at the following email address: email@example.com with the above title.
Credit on student fee account
The credit balance caused by the
rebate on your accommodation will be refunded to NSFAS. Note that your food
allowance will also be adjusted in terms of the national guidelines for food
allowances to recipients of NSFAS-bursaries. All students staying in private
accommodation or with their parents, receive a maximum allowance of R1,500 per
month for food. Adjustments will be made from the date you have left your SU
residence. Credits that were caused as a result of these adjustments will be
refunded to NSFAS and is not available to the students to spend on food.
Credits that were caused as a result discontinuation of modules as well as
other top-up funding, will be reserved and paid back to NSFAS.
NSFAS Allowances 2021
Please take note of the below information with regards to the allowances for 2021.
1. NSFAS has not provided a list of funded students for 2021. As a contingency we will only be processing allowances for students who were funded by NSFAS in 2020 and passed ALL their modules in 2020.
2. Allowances are currently only being processed for students on the Tygerberg campus. Allowances for students on the Stellenbosch campus will be processed from the 1st of March.
3. Allowances for Private accommodation will take longer as the information provided needs to be verified.
4. Students who are receiving the Capped NSFAS funding (Those who were initially funded before 2018) will only receive their book allowance until we are able to determine their cost of study to pay out the balance.
5. Please note that funded students or those students mentioned in paragraph 2 will receive a
questionnaire on the Monday after they registered.
6. The annual NSFAS allowance breakdown for 2021 is as follows:
- All students will receive R 5 200 for books.
- Students living at home will receive R 15 000 living allowance and R 7 500 travel allowance.
- Student living in catered residences will receive R 2 900 and R 3 190 personal allowance for Stellenbosch and Tygerberg campuses, respectively.
- Students living in self-catered residences will receive R 15 000 living allowance
- Students living in private NSFAS accredited accommodation will receive R 15 000 living allowance and a private accommodation allowance capped at R 56 160.
Allowances are paid for 10 months (March to December) and 11 months (January to November) for Stellenbosch and Tygerberg students, respectively.
HOW TO APPLY:
For mobile users click HERE
STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES
Stellenbosch University welcomes students with disabilities or special learning needs. You can call the Disability Unit on
+27 (0) 21 8084707, or visit www.sun.ac.za/cscd for more information. You can also contact your faculty for assistance.
The Disability Unit forms part of the Centre for Student Counselling and Development (CSCD) and the physical address is 37 Victoria Street, Den Bosch.
Click on this NSFAS Disability Annexure A_2021.pdf to the Dissabilty Unit Website. Herewith the different categories of dissability.
The Centre for Bursaries and Loans work closely with the Disability Unit and NSFAS (National Student Financial Aid Scheme) to assist with funding for students with disabilities or special learning needs.
For your convenience, please click on the link to the NSFAS website, www.nsfas.org to apply for financial aid.
When you apply for financial aid, you need to complete the NSFAS Disability Annexure form and upload it onto your profile with all the supporting documents.
You are welcome to contact our Client Service Centre at 021 8089111 for assistance.