The following lists contain seminal journal articles and books or chapters in books on teaching and learning, published by national and international scholars. If you would like to expand your knowledge of teaching and learning in higher education, these sources could serve as a guide in broadening your knowledge base of this field.
- Mbembe, A.J. 2016. Decolonizing the university: New directions.
Arts & Humanities in Higher Education, 15(1): 29-45.
- Case, J. 2015. Emergent interactions: Rethinking the relationship between teaching and learning.
Teaching in Higher Education, 20(6): 625-635.
- Biggs, J. 2014. Constructive alignment in university teaching.
HERDSA Review of Higher Education, 1:1-22. Available at
- Van den Bos, P. & Brouwer, J. 2014. Learning to teach in higher education: How to link theory and practice.
Teaching in Higher Education, 19(7): 772-786.
- Morrison, C.D. 2013. From 'Sage on the Stage' to 'Guide on the Side': A Good Start.
International Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, 8(1). Available at
- Birch, P.D.J., Batten, J., Manley, A.J. & Smith, M.J. 2012. An exploratory investigation examining the cues that students use to form initial impressions and expectancies of lecturers.
Teaching in Higher Education, 17(6): 660-672.
- Christopher, D.A. 2011. Interactive large classes: The dynamics of teacher/student interaction.
Journal of Business & Economics Research, 1(8): 81-98.
- Cilliers, F.J. & Herman, N. 2010. Impact of an educational development programme on teaching practice of academics at a research-intensive university. International Journal for Academic Development, 15(3): 253-267.
- Young, S.F. 2008. Theoretical frameworks and models of learning: Tools for developing conceptions of teaching and learning.
International Journal for Academic Development, 13(1): 41-49.
- Toews, M.L. & Yazedjian, A. 2007. The three-ring circus of academia: How to become the ringmaster.
Innovative Higher Education, 32:113-122.
- Tigelaar, D.E.H., Dolmans, D.H.J.M., De Grave, W.S., Wolfhagen, I.H.A.P. & Van der Vleuten, C.P.M. 2006. Portfolio as a tool to stimulate teachers' reflections.
Medical Teacher, 28(3): 277-282.
- Felder, R.M. & Brent, R. 2005. Understanding student differences.
Journal of Engineering Education, 94(1): 57-72.
- Smith, K.A., Sheppard, S.S., Johnson, D.W. & Johnson, R.T. 2005. Pedagogies of engagement: Classroom-based practice.
Journal of Engineering Education, 94(1): 87-101.
- Kane, R., Sandretto, S. & Heath, C. 2004. An investigation into excellent tertiary teaching: Emphasising reflective practice.
Higher Education, 47: 283-310.
- Trigwell, K. & Shale, S. 2004. Student learning and the scholarship of university teaching.
Studies in Higher Education, 29(4): 523-536.
- Richlin, L. 2001. Scholarly teaching and the scholarship of teaching.
New Directions for Teaching and Learning, 86: 57-68.
- Kreber, C. & Cranton, P.A. 2000. Exploring the scholarship of teaching. The Journal of Higher Education, 71(4): 476-495.
- Elton, L. 1998. Dimensions of excellence in university teaching.
International Journal of Academic Development, 3(1): 3-11.
- Chickering, A.W. & Gamson, Z.F. 1987. Seven principles for good practice in undergraduate education. AAHE Bulletin: 3-7.
Books and Chapters in Books
- Badat, S. 2012. Redressing the colonial/apartheid legacy: Social equity, redress, and higher education admissions in democratic South Africa. In Hasan, Z. & Nussbaum, M. (Eds.),
Equalizing access: Affirmative action in higher education in India, United States, and South Africa. New Delhi: Oxford University Press. Pp. 121-150.
- Seldin, P., Miller, J.E. & Seldin, C.A. 2010.
The teaching portfolio: A practical guide to improved performance and promotion/tenure decisions. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Fry, H., Ketteridge, S. & Marshall, S. (Eds.) 2009. (1999).
A Handbook for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education. Enhancing Academic Practice. 3rd Edition. London, New York: Routledge.
- Leibowitz, B., Van Schalkwyk, S., Van der Merwe, A., Herman, N. & Young, G. 2009. What makes a good first year lecturer? In Leibowitz, B., Van der Merwe, A. & Van Schalkwyk, S. (Eds.),
Focus on first year success: Perspectives emerging from South Africa and beyond. Pp. 255-270. Stellenbosch: Sun Press.
- Brookfield, S.D. 2006.
The skilful teacher: On technique, trust, and responsiveness in the classroom. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Butcher, C., Davies, C. & Highton, M. 2006.
Designing learning. From module outline to effective teaching. London, New York: Routledge.
- Biggs. J. 2003.
Teaching for Quality Learning at University. Buckingham. Milton Keynes: The Society for Research into Higher Education/Open University Press.
- Meyer, J.H.F. & Land, R. 2003. Threshold concepts and troublesome knowledge – linkages to ways of thinking and practising. In
Improving Student Learning – Ten Years On. C. Rust (Ed.), OCSLD, Oxford.
- Ramsden, P. 2002.
Learning to Teach in Higher Education. London, New York: Routledge.
- Wenger, E. 1998.
Communities of practice: Learning, meaning and identity. New York, NY: Cambridge University Press.
- Angelo, T.A. & Cross, K.P. 1993. (1988).
Classroom Assessment Techniques: A Handbook for College Teachers. 2nd Edition. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Mezirow, J. 1991.
Transformative dimensions of adult learning. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Boyer, E. 1990.
Scholarship reconsidered: Priorities of the professoriate. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Schön, D. 1987.
Educating the reflective practitioner. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass
- Freire, P. 1985.
The politics of education: Culture, power and liberation. New York: Macmillan.