Writing for digital
Digital copywriters need to structure content effectively so that users want to engage with their web content.
Some ways to create digital copy that is usable and appropriate for an online audience include:
- Writing text that can be easily scanned. 150 - 300 words.
- Including multimedia / images where relevant, complementing text
- Using meaningful headings and sub-headings.
- Highlighting or bolding key phrases and words.
- Using bulleted lists.
- Having a well-organised site.
- Limiting each paragraph to one main idea or topic. The leading sentence should give a clear indication of what the paragraph is about.
- Readers can scan each paragraph without missing any essential information.
- Cutting the fluff. Get rid of meaningless turns of phrase and words that bulk up copy unnecessarily.
- Removing redundancies. These often creep into writing by accident, but you should work to eliminate them in order to get to the point.