Before you apply
- Read up on the various
research focuses we offer at the MBHG Division
- Make sure you understand the admission and selection requirements (unique for each programme). For more details see
- Check the
Step 1: Choose your programme
MBHG offers various postgraduate study programmes
BSc Honours (Molecular Biology) or (Human Genetics)
MSc (Molecular Biology) or (Human Genetics)
PhD (Molecular Biology) or (Human Genetics)
MMed (Clinical Genetics)
Step 2: Start your application
- You can complete your official SU application quickly and easily via the Stellenbosch University e-application process. In order to
apply online, you will need:
- a valid email address
- and cell/mobile phone number
Correspondence will be sent to the email address provided and messages to the cell/mobile phone.
- Students currently enrolled at SU apply via:
My Sun platform > Studies > Application postgraduate studies
NOT enrolled at SU, start your
online application > You will receive an OFFICIAL SUN-PASSWORD after you submit your application. This can be used to access your application status to upload all your supporting application documents.
MSc and PhD candidates are required to complete the
MBHG pre-application process
in addition to the official SU application.
Step 3: Upload your documents
You have to submit all your
supporting documents before the programme
- Your signed contract (available via e-application process)
- Proof of payment of the R100 application fee (ONLY South African applicants)
- A certified copy of your highest qualification and most recent academic transcript
Your application will only be processed
AFTER the application has been finalized
AND all the correct
supporting documents have been uploaded. It remains your responsibility to make sure that the University receives all your documents in time.
Step 4: Apply for a bursary
REQUIRE all prospective students to apply for external funding, unless fully self-funded. For funding opportunities visit
Step 5: Track your application
You can monitor your official SU
application status online using your username (student number) and SUN-password.
All communication regarding
MBHG pre-application outcome will occur via email.
If you need help with your application or if you need us to send you any additional information, please contact the designated
Postgraduate Coordinator for the desired postgraduate programme or visit our