Department of Pathology
Vision for the Department of Pathology at the University of Stellenbosch and NHLS Tygerberg:
The Department provides excellent teaching, training, research and service in pathology.
Mission for the Department of Pathology at the University of Stellenbosch and NHLS Tygerberg:
- Provide excellent teaching and training in pathology.
- Conduct relevant and sustainable research of the highest quality.
- Support and provide value-added quality pathology services.
- Collaborate in close partnership with other academic institutions, the community, and the pathology service platform at a regional and national level.
- Promote diversity at all levels
The amalgamation of the respective pathology departments of pathology in January 2006 lead to the establishment of the Department of Pathology.
The National Health Laboratory Services (NHLS), established in 2000, provides the service- and training platform for all the pathology disciplines with the exception of Forensic Pathology that resorts under the Provincial Government of the Western Cape and Tygerberg Hospital. Dr John Simpson was the first NHLS Business Manager at Tygerberg. The past few years saw major improvements to the infrastructure and efficiency of the pathology laboratories at Tygerberg Hospital. A modern, well-equipped and integrated core laboratory caters for the majority of the routine diagnostic services, while specialised laboratories offer more sophisticated and advanced tests and facilities that also compliment the research and training platform. Since the establishment of the Department, major restructuring of the managerial structures aligned the academic activities between the various divisions according to lines of business related to research, education, finances, and service and community interaction.