Senior Lecturer in the Division for Design and Mechatronics
Mechatronics: Unmanned aerial vehicles; Image processing; Pattern recognition
- PhD (Electronical Engineering) in 2008, University of Pretoria
- MIng (Mechanical) with honours in 2000, University of Pretoria
- BIng (Mechanical) with honours in 1998, University of Pretoria
|January 2012 – present:||Stellenbosch University|
Senior Lecturer – Department of Mechanical and Mechatronic Engineering
|January 2007 – January 2012:||NWU|
Senior Lecturer – Department of Mechanical Engineering
|January 2005 - December 2006||TUT|
|July 2004 – December 2004:||UP|
Publications, Presentations and Patents
1. Snyman, J. & Smit, W. The Optimal Design of a Planar Parallel
Platform for Prescribed Machining Tasks, Multibody System Dynamics,
Springer Netherlands, 2002, 8, 103-115
2. Smit, W. & Barnard, E. Continuous speech recognition with
sparse coding, Computer Speech & Language, 2009, 23, 200-219
1. Le Roux, M.; Campbell, Q.P. & Smit, W. Large scale design and
testing of an improved ne coal dewatering system, The South African
Institude of Mining and Metallurgy, Fines benication, dewatering and
agglomeration, 16-17 November 2010, Muldersdrift, South Africa
Van Niekerk, W.; Mentz, E. & Smit, W. Co-Operative Learning in
Thermodynamics: Solving Problems in Pairs, Proceedings of the First
Biennial Conference of the South African Society for Engineering
Education, 10-12 August 2011, Stellenbosch, South Africa
3. SMIT WJ. Sparse Coding of Single Spoken Digits. Proceedings of the twenty-fourth annual symposium of the Pattern Recognition Association of South Africa (PRASA), University of Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa, PRASA 2013 2013: 99-106.
4. AGENBAG W, SMIT WJ, NIESLER TR. Automatic segmentation and clustering of speech using sparse coding. Proceedings of the 2014 PRASA, RobMech and AfLaT International Joint Symposium, Cape Town, South Africa, PRASA 2014: 142-147.
5. GROBLER A, GAUCHÉ P, SMIT WJ. Gaussian mixture models as flux prediction method for central receivers. AIP Conference, SolarPaces 2015, Cape Town, South Africa, AIP Publishers 2016: 160007, 8 pages.
6. LOCK JC, SMIT WJ, TREURNICHT J. An investigation into multi-dimensional prediction models to estimate the pose error of a quadcopter in a CSP plant setting. AIP Conference, SolarPaces 2015, Cape Town, South Africa, AIP Publishers 2016: 130012, 8 pages.
7. SWANEPOEL MC, BOOYSEN MJ, SMIT WJ. A structural-locking bicycle docking mechanism to enable safe and convenient bicycle usage in urban environments. In: Kruger JH (ed.) 10thh South African conference on Computational and Applied Mechanics, Potchefstroom, South Africa, SACAM 2016: 1-6.