The Faculty of Engineering at Stellenbosch University (SU) is at the forefront of basic and applied research, and enjoys international recognition for its work. The focus is on cutting-edge and inter-disciplinary research. Our research activities are supported by highly competent staff and world-class laboratories, computational facilities and research infrastructure.
We are fortunate in attracting students of the highest calibre. Our researchers are very successful in supplying high-level engineering expertise to industry and postgraduate students. The Faculty is experiencing strong growth in its research and postgraduate programmes.
Our Faculty is research intensive and is one of the largest contributors to Stellenbosch University's research income. Research and teaching in the five academic departments is augmented by four research centres and two institutes of international standing, with research groups in these units being funded by various industries and research councils.
The Faculty of Engineering is a national leader in the field of research, and obtains a good deal of funding from organisations such as THRIP (Technology and Human Resources for Industry Programme) and the National Innovation Fund.
The Faculty of Engineering was established in 1944 and over the decades has built up an excellent reputation amongst its peers both nationally and internationally. Some of our achievements over the last few years include:
Collaboration with the Faculty of Engineering at Stellenbosch University means collaboration with a learning and research centre of international standing. Postgraduate students can expect to be supervised by top-notch researchers and academics who share their knowledge in a collegial environment. We look forward to welcoming you to this world-class Faculty as a research partner, collaborator, supporter or postgraduate student.
- the NRF (National Research Foundation) research rating of more than 35% of our academic staff, signifying that their international peers are of the opinion that the quality of their research outputs is of an exceptional standard and on par with international standards;
- the establishment of the NRF Square Kilometre Array Research Chair in the Faculty of Engineering;
- the doubling of the number of postgraduate students over the last five years
- our success in knowledge and technology transfer which is reflected in the large number of commercial research contracts requested;
- world-wide acknowledgement of our expertise. Our researchers are requested to do consultation work for both national and international industries on a regular basis;
- numerous prestigious awards received by our researchers for their outstanding work;
- financial soundness of the Faculty's centres and institutes.