The Faculty of Engineering is one of South Africa's major producers of high-level engineers. Established in 1944, it currently has five engineering departments, is housed in a large building complex, and has excellent teaching and research laboratories, as well as an extensive support infrastructure. The Faculty's mission is to serve as a cost-effective source of excellent technical proficiency and professional leadership through teaching, research and service to industry and the community.
The Engineering Faculty has a long tradition of close cooperation with industry, where both contract research and consultation for the industry are facilitated by various internal organisations.
The Faculty currently has several international cooperation agreements in place, enabling postgraduate students to do part of their postgraduate studies and projects in a foreign country. More information regarding these international partnerships is available from the Heads of Department.
All students who do not have South African citizenship potentially have access to all the postgraduate programmes offered, provided that an official study permit is obtained and that all the admission requirements are met. English is the medium of instruction at postgraduate level and, as such, all programmes are suitable for international students.