MA, PhD (UCT), Associate Professor
Eastern Africa and the Indian Ocean
African/Asian literature and Islam
Eastern African literature and the Indian Ocean
Migration and African diaspora
Translated People, Translated Text: Language and Migration in Contemporary African Literature. Manchester: St Jerome, 2009.
ARTICLES IN PEER-REVIEWED JOURNALS
- 'A Vagabond on the Road: the pressure of genre in Nadifa Mohamed's novel Black Mamba Boy" in African Studies, 2016, eds. Grace Musila and Dina Ligaga.
- 'Traversing Social Landscapes: Plaatje's Mhudi and Community' in English in Africa, Special Issue on Community, 2014. Ed. Dirk Klopper,
- "Dwelling-in-Travel": Of Ships, Trains and Planes in M.G. Vassanji's Fiction' in East African Literature and Culture (1.1), 2014. Eds. Gadwin Siundu &Tom Odhiambo.
- 'Writing on and over the edge of community: Sophia Mustafa's In the Shadow of Kirinyaga' Kunapipi Vol.XXXIV, (1), 2013. Ed. Anne Collett. Associate Eds. Grace Musila &Maria Olaussen.
- 'The Indian Ocean travels of Sheikh Yusuf and Imam Ali Ali: literary representations in Ishtiyaq Shukri's The Silent Minaret and Achmat Dangor's Bitter Fruit' Social Dynamics (38.2), 2012. Eds. Gabeba Baderoon and Louise Green.
- 'Translating between India and Tanzania: Sophia Mustafa's partial cosmopolitanism' Research in African Literatures (42.3), 2011. Ed. Gaurav Desai.
- 'Writing "Wider Worlds": The Role of Relation in Abdulrazak Gurnah's Fiction' Research in African Literatures (41.3), 2010. Eds. Peter Mwikisa and Mary Lederer.
- 'Of cracked lenses: cultural translation, opacity and the African novel' Social Dynamics (36.2), 2010. Eds. Harry Garuba, Cheryl-Ann Michael and Meg Samuelson.
- 'Navigating Multilingually: The chronotope of the ship in contemporary East African fiction' English Studies in Africa (51.2), 2008. Ed Michael Titlestad.
- 'Strategic Nostalgia, Islam and Cultural Translation in Leila Aboulela's Fiction'. Current Writing 20 (2), 2008. Ed. Duncan Brown.
- 'Of Translators, Travellers and Readers: The Transmission of Knowledge in Contexts of Power in Jamal Mahjoub's The Carrier (1998)'. English Academy Review: Southern African Journal of English Studies 25 (1) 2008.
- 'Pockets of Connection against the Backdrop of 'Culture Talk' in Ishtiyaq Shukri's The Silent Minaret'. Current Writing 19 (1) 2007.
- 'Mimicry or Translation? Storytelling and Migrant Identity in Abdulrazak Gurnah's novels Admiring Silence and By the Sea'. Special Edition of The Translator Ed. Loredana Polezzi. St. Jerome, 2006.
- 'The Pull Between Old and New Communities in M.G. Vassanji's Novels of Migration'. Canadian Review of Comparative Literature. Special Issue on African Literature. Eds. Esonwanne, Garuba, Nai'Allah, 2005.
CHAPTERS IN BOOKS
'Writing in the 'Contact Zone': The Problem of Post-Colonial Literary Translation. Reading Tsitsi Dangarembga's novel Nervous Conditions in German'. Writing Back In/And Translation. Ed. Raoul Granqvist. Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang, 2006.
REVIEWS, DISCUSSIONS, DICTIONARY ENTRIES
- Review of The Grammar of Identity. Safundi. 13 (3-4) 2012.
- Review of Afropolitanism. Imbizo 3 (1) 2012.
- Review of In Babel's Shadow: Multilingual Literatures, Monolingual States. Translation Studies 5 (2), 2012: 259-262.
- Review of Migrant Form. English Academy Review: Southern African Journal of English Studies 28 (2) 2011.
- Review of A New Generation of African Writing. Language, Migration and Material Culture. English Academy Review: Southern African Journal of English Studies 25 (1) 2010.
- Review of At Risk: Writing on and over the Edge of South Africa. English Academy Review: Southern African Journal of English Studies 25 (1) 2008.
- Review of The Portable Bunyan: A Transnational History of The Pilgrims Progress. Social Dynamics 30 (1), 2004: 224-225.
- Entry on 'Leila Aboulela'. Dictionary of African Biography, Eds: Henry Louise Gates, Jr. and Emmanuel K. Akyeampong, 2011.
- Entry on 'Abdulrazak Gurnah'. Dictionary of African Biography, Eds: Henry Louise Gates, Jr. and Emmanuel K. Akyeampong, 2011.
- Entry on 'M.G. Vassanji'. Dictionary of African Biography, Eds: Henry Louise Gates, Jr. and Emmanuel K. Akyeampong, 2011
MA supervision completed:
2010: Adri Goosen. Thesis title: 'Stealing the Story, Salvaging the She': Feminist Revisionist Fiction and the Bible. Distinction.
2013: Randi Rodgers. Thesis title: 'Identity and Education in the Novels by Tsitsi Dangarembga and Kopano Mtlwa'
2014: Nicole Eberhardt. Thesis title: 'Narrating Alternative Histories: An Exploration of Jamal Mahjoub's The Carrier and Amitav Ghosh's In An Antique Land'. Distinction.
PhD supervision completed:
2015: Phenyo Butale. Thesis title: 'Discourses of Poverty: Assessing representations of indigence in post-colonial texts from Botswana, Namibia and Zimbabwe' (joint supervisor).
2014: Chantelle Gray Van Heerden. Thesis title: 'Translation as/in Critique: Ingrid Winterbach's oeuvre in Afrikaans and English' (joint supervisor).
2014: Kimani Kaigai. Thesis title: 'Travelling to Strange Lands: Migrant Aesthetics in Abdulrazak Gurnah's Fiction' (sole supervisor).
2014: Danson Kahyana. Thesis title: 'Negotiating (Trans)National Identities in Ugandan Literature' (main supervisor).
2013: James Ocita. Thesis title: 'Diasporic Imaginaries: memory and negotiation of belonging in East African and South African Indian Narratives' (co-supervisor).
2013: Sydoine Moudouma Moudouma. Thesis title: 'Intra-and Inter-Continental Migration in Contemporary African Literature' (sole supervisor).
Translations between German and English
Group leader: Eastern African and Indian Ocean Studies Reading Group (together with Prof. Grace Musila)