The theft of bicycles is a big problem on the Stellenbosch campus.
Follow these tips to NOT become a victim:
- Lock your bicycle with a u-lock. Fasten it to both the bicycle frame and a bicycle stand.
- Don't use a thin chain or cable locks. These locks are broken by thieves without any difficulty.
- The use of a combination lock is also not advised.
- REGISTER your bicycle for FREE at Campus Security. If your stolen bicycle is recovered, Campus Security can identify the owner immediately.
- Make use of the bicycle sheds on campus.
- Those who want make use of the sheds must register and activate their bicycle and student card at Campus Security to obtain entry.
- Rather lock your bicycle inside the shed than outside to the framework of the shed.
- Keep a record of the bicycle's serial number, model, colour and any outstanding characteristics. Write it down and/or take a photograph.
- Label your bicycle with your name and information. Be creative.
Report any suspicious people, with a good description, to Campus Security immediately.
Memorise the emergency numbers of Campus Security, 021 808-2333 (Stellenbosch) and 021 938-9507 (Tygerberg). Or send a whatsapp message 082 808 2333.