The Central Disciplinary Committee (CDC) on 02 December 2019, considered an allegation that a student:
- was found in possession of unauthorised notes during an exam despite being aware that such unauthorised notes were not permitted in the exam venue.
The misconduct is in contravention of rule 10.1 of the Disciplinary Code for Students of Stellenbosch University.
The student admitted the misconduct and the matter was decided following an enquiry before the Central Disciplinary Committee, in terms of paragraph 37 of the Code.
The following sanction was imposed by the panel:
- The student forfeits the marks for the exam.
- The student must complete 50 hours of community service.
- The student must furnish written apology to the lecturer.
- The student is suspended from the University for one year. This sanction is suspended on condition that the student is not found guilty of similar misconduct for the duration of academic studies.
- The finding and sanction must be published on the notice boards in the relevant Faculty with the student’s name redacted.
F Van Rooi
Head: Student Discipline